The Official Blog of Misericordia University

Keeping It Simple at Misericordia

Posted by Guest Student Blogger on Sep 18, 2017

Throughout the last two years of high school, juniors and seniors are often wondering what college will be like, and even more often they are told to “get involved”. But what does that mean? Sure, they can join numerous clubs, play a sport, volunteer, and even find a job on campus- but why and...how? Getting involved seems easy enough, but what club do you join? How do you find out about the clubs? What sport do you play? If you don’t play a sport, how do you stay involved in athletics? Where do you volunteer and how do you start? How do you prepare for a job and get one after college? All of these questions are important, and at Misericordia University, the answers are pretty simple.

Read More

Topics: Misericordia Proud

No Longer at the Bottom of the Totem Pole

Posted by Guest Student Blogger on Sep 8, 2017

As summer came to a close this year, I found myself welcoming the return to school instead of dreading it as I did last year. Being more familiar with my surroundings and the way life works around campus certainly helped to ease my tension as the school year approached. Making the shift from full-time daycare employee to full-time student was certainly something I looked forward to as my summer quickly passed before my eyes. Coming into this school year with experience under my belt, I didn’t feel the same pressures I did before.

Read More

Topics: Misericordia Proud

Back in Business for the Fall

Posted by Guest Student Blogger on Aug 31, 2017

Ladies and Gentlemen, we are back in business for this 2017-18 school year here at Misericordia. After a nice, long summer vacation we should all be ready to get back into the swing of things. And for our first-year students, welcome. We hope that you enjoy your time here and that you create many memories and new friendships. This will be my second year on campus and it feels like I have been here longer than that. It was amazing how fast the time went during my summer break. But I am glad to be back, happy to see people I did not get a chance to see this summer, and excited for the start of the soccer season.

Read More

Topics: Misericordia Proud

From Summer Intern to Budding Marketing Professional

Posted by Guest Student Blogger on Aug 1, 2017

As my time as an intern at Misericordia University is coming to a close I think it is only right to put my thoughts into writing so that others can possibly take something positive away from it, and maybe it will influence them to obtain the same internship or any internship at Misericordia. So this blog will involve what I did here at Misericordia and a look at my thoughts along the way…

Read More

Topics: Misericordia Proud

Misericordia students reach beyond limits to create new brand identity for Kingston-based program

Posted by Guest Faculty Blogger on Jan 9, 2017

An Ideal Service Learning Client

Last September, Reaching Beyond Limits, a then-18-month-old organization co-founded by Amy Hartman (a Misericordia alumnus) and Robyn Ruckle, was doing great with a growing client base, a strong reputation, and a solid Facebook following.

Reaching Beyond Limits (RBL), located in Kingston, Pennsylvania, is an adult day program for adults with intellectual disabilities and autism spectrum disorder. Like any new organization, they had many plates to spin. Their priority was and is their clients: helping them to learn, thrive, and maximize their quality of life each day.

So it was only natural that branding and website development fell low on their task list. The months started to add up and their website continued to be “under construction.” They were also interested in developing a new logo.

That’s where Misericordia’s Department of Mass Communications and Design stepped in, taking on RBL as a service-learning client in COM 485, Powerful, Persuasive Marketing Design, taught by Assistant Professor Rachel Urbanowicz.

Read More

Topics: Misericordia Proud

Recent Misericordia Graduate Designs Dallas Bicentennial Logo

Posted by Guest Faculty Blogger on Aug 1, 2016

The Dallas Bicentennial celebration starts next spring, with a logo created by one of its own.

Caitlin Meehan, a recent graduate of Misericordia University and less-recent graduate of Dallas High School, will enjoy the experience of seeing her artwork used throughout the festivities, in materials including the township letterhead, as part of the Dallas Bicentennial celebration, which kicks off in April of 2017.

The Dallas Bicentennial logo, designed by 2016 Misericordia graduate, Caitlin Meehan.

Read More

Topics: Misericordia Proud

Livin’ the Simple Life in Tanzania

Posted by Guest Student Blogger on Jun 8, 2016

Since we have arrived in Tanzania, we have noticed many things here that are not as big a deal as they are in America. One of the first things we noticed was that in our guest house there is only one mirror to share among 9 girls. Because of this, many of us are less concerned about our appearances and wearing make-up. We can now go all day without looking in a mirror as opposed to being at home in America, where we look in the mirror first thing in the morning and several times throughout the day.

Read More

Topics: Misericordia Proud

Khongas, Khongas Everywhere

Posted by Guest Student Blogger on Jun 6, 2016

As you walk the streets of Karagwe, Tanzania, you'll see women, mostly of child-bearing age and older, wearing beautifully designed fabrics. Khongas, as the native Tanzanians call them, are rectangularly shaped, brightly colored fabrics about four yards long. They sell for 18,000 shillings (6 dollars) at the local market; 15,000 if you have a Tanzanian friend with you to haggle.

Read More

Topics: Misericordia Proud

Misericordia Students on a Mission in Tanzania

Posted by Guest Faculty Blogger on Jun 6, 2016

Misericordia students Haley Hall, Lexi Giannone, Katie Hurley and Lisa Tondora, accompanied by Dr. Cynthia Mailloux, are on a two week service learning trip to Karagwe, Tanzania.  

Read More

Topics: Misericordia Proud

COM Major’s Luck Led to Vegas

Posted by Guest Staff Blogger on Jun 1, 2016

Misericordia University Communications Department senior, Erin Dougherty, proves that not everything stays in Vegas. She brought home an important resume entry and portfolio material from her surprise gig as a production assistant on the Spike TV reality show “Bar Rescue.” The show features Jon Taffer, a food & beverage industry consultant who helps turn around failing bars in danger of closing. http://www.spike.com/shows/bar-rescue.

Read More

Topics: Misericordia Proud